Our Girls

Our Girls
I love that they have each other

Saturday, February 20, 2010

New Beginnings

On February 17th, we had New Beginnings. I was in charge of it and did it as one of my Personal Progress projects. I have been working on it since November. I think it went really well. I had some really good feedback, and there were tears, so I think it was all okay.

The theme was, "Oh the Goals You Can Reach!" The room was set up like an airplane, 2 seats, 3 seats, then 2 seats. The invitations were airplane tickets with seat assignments. I made "in-flight safety instructions" for the program. I had all the leaders dress in black pants and white shirts - like flight attendant uniforms, and got wings from my dad.

I started off by telling everyone to turn off all electronic devises and securely place all carry-ons under their seat. Then a phone went off, and I was asking whose it was, and telling them that the plane would crash because it would interfere with the electrical circuits . . . IT WAS MY PHONE!!! I never have my phone on noise! It's ALWAYS on vibrate, except tonight! I was so embarrassed! They laughed, and I'll probably never get to live that down.

The night started off with the Bishop and all YW leaders singing a song, re-written to "Oh the Thinks You Can Think" from Seussical. I can't upload the video, but here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_wOgT8FBTc Needless to say, they laughed really hard! Then I had all the leaders introduce themselves, and the different YW Classes as well as the value experiences they had completed. The YW then had to get up and talk about the Value Experiences they had completed and how doing that experience made them stronger and have more courage. They did AMAZING! I'm so proud of my girls. Then I gave a talk on PP. Why we do it, reasons to love it and how it helps us in our lives.

I really learned a lot about Personal Progress and myself in doing this project. I had a lot of fun putting it together, and making it fun and creative for all my girls. I really hope they got something out of it, cuz I sure did.

The bishop was the captain of Southern Hills Airlines (that's what I called our flight), which is why he is wearing my dad's captain's hat.

The Laurel, Mia Maid & Beehive statements have changed and here they are. You can't read them, but they are pretty great.

We provided treats and snacks that you would get on an airplane.

This is the table with the balloons in the color of each value: Faith, White; Divine Nature, Blue; Individual Worth, Red; Knowledge, Green; Choice & Accountability, Orange; Good Works, Yellow; Integrity, Purple; Virtue, Gold.

I put together a "trip/destination" wall with all the values listed and a bunch of pictures of life goals that you can achieve because of the different values. Below are a bunch of pictures of the night.
Over all, I think it was pretty well received and hopefully everyone felt the spirit. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to do it. I have mixed emotions about it being over, am relieved and saddened. Guess I'll have to start in on something new. ;-)

2 comments:

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

Brillant! What a cute idea...IF I am ever in YW again, I think I'll steal this idea {teehee} You're such a rock star!

Justin and Amy said...

You woung women leaders work so hard. I am in awe of all the work you guys put in to everything. Those girls are so lucky.