Our Girls

Our Girls
I love that they have each other

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Happiness & Truths

So last conference I didn't get the chance to listen because i was having fantastic, and much overdo, girls weekend with friends from College. That doesn't excuse me from not watching or reading, that I know, but this year has been a major growth one for me, and since not watching conference, I have been craving it! Well yesterday was the General Relief Society Broadcast, and once again, was unable to watch it (last night) due to my father in law's 50th birthday party - Happy Birthday again Jeff!! But this time I did TiVo it and was able to watch it this morning. Not as much fun watching that at home as in the church, but it was still uplifting!

The General RS presidency spoke, and they did great jobs!! I enjoyed Sister Allred's talk about Temples - I always love to hear about the Temples, they are amazing and fantastic!! If you haven't had a chance to go, get there!! Even if it's just to the grounds! And I really Enjoyed Sister Thompson's talk on Service. She speaks very well. But the highlight of it was Elder Uchtdorf, who is awesome!

Elder Uchtdorf, for those of you who aren't members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is the second counselor in the First Presidency of the Church. He addressed the trials that we face as women, and did not, in the least negate or tell us that they weren't important. In fact, it was the opposite. He told us that every struggle, no matter how insignificant it may seem, is big to that individual, and he understands, and feels for each one.

Admittedly, I am HORRIBLE with short term memory, and won't do his talk justice. But the thing that stood out the very most to me, was instead of waiting and wondering where the answers were to our prayers, he told us to think of the last time we were an answer to someone else's prayers. I thought that was awesome. I have had people come into my life who were answers to my prayers.

While I was going through my hardest times, my bishop counseled me to pay attention to the spirit and do whatever thought came into my mind. I found that the spirit directed me a lot! And it was in all areas of my life. So, I am going to do my best, to continue to listen to that spirit, and hopefully strive to be an answer to someone (or several) prayers. I believe that if we try to do that, our own prayers would be answered, and we would have more peace in our lives.

I encourage all of you to watch or read, especially Uchtdorfs talk from the General RS broadcast. And especially to watch General Conference next weekend. I don't care what faith you are or aren't, there are fantastic words of wisdom taught in those 4 sessions and in this scary world we live in today, a little peace and encouragement is always nice.

I love you all!

1 comment:

loriallen said...

Tell me, Uchtdorf isn't handsome! I am still watching sunday's session. I feel the spirit just thinking about it. There is so much in this life to sway us this way or that, but conference just puts us back on track. It keeps me focused on what is truly important. To be in the world but not of it. I struggle sometimes with justification of comparing myself to the world, but I like how the leaders keep us in check and remind us that we keep our own set of standards to keep us in check. I could go on. It's therapy...We don't have to have all of the answers...